Friday, September 14, 2012

Introducing Evgeny I of Russia

The first tsar of Russia I named definitely was also the last: Evgeny IV, popularly called "the Old." All I knew about him was what I'd retained after filing off the serial numbers of the last several Romanovs - and that he was, obviously, the fourth Evgeny of Russia.

It therefore follows that there had to be an Evgeny I as well. And, since I'd already established "the Two Evgenies" as a period in Russian historiography way back in May, it stood to reason that Evgeny I should be a notable tsar as well.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the (very WIP) introduction of the first Evgeny.

The Eugenian calendrical drama

In the early 1600s [when?], Evgeny I finally starts on the single most repercussive act of his career: a calendrical reform. A modernizing Russia, he feels, must be up to date, and that means up to date with the Westerners he's consciously patterning himself after.
  • A few years after its introduction, the Pentarchy anathematizes him.
  • The Old Calendarist Revolt: A massive revolt kicks off at about the same time as the Eugenian calendar is promulgated.
  • The drama within the Russian Orthodox Church is significant enough that Evgeny I, very much like Peter the Great, stops appointing Patriarchs of Russia and shifts the entire church to a synodal government. It doesn't have another for nearly 200 years, until Evgeny IV reinstates the Patriarch.
This is a work in progress. It will be significantly expanded upon as time progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment